NJ Running

Stories about the greatest sport usually thought of while daydreaming during a run

Name:
Location: Fanwood, New Jersey, United States

Friday, January 02, 2009

Hangover Run 2009

If anybody doubted the incredible popularity of running, the two local New Years Day races once provided strong evidence. On a day when temperatures struggled to reach the 20’s and the wind howled, the Resolution Run in Hillsborough drew over 500 entries, with 493 finishers. The amount would have swelled, but the entries were closed Christmas Day. The race I attended, the 28th annual Hangover run, had 415, many who were post registrants. I find it amazing that someone would have awakened New Years Day and wanted to run a race. I was pre registered and also volunteered so I had no choice, although except for the cold, it was not a bad day to run a race.

This marks the 26th straight year that I have run at least one New Jersey race, a streak that pales in comparison to the consecutive days streaks, but one I am proud of nonetheless, It is not that difficult to run one NJ race in a calendar year. By my estimate, there are probably 150 days during the year that there is a race and a 5K is a race that takes little or no effort or fitness to complete. My biggest challenge to the streak came in 2007, when after running a 10k in Florida in January, I broke my ankle in early March, an injury that would sideline me until October, where I finally was given to train on pavement. I made it to the Westfield Turkey Trot Thanksgiving weekend and the streak continued. Perhaps, extending the streak as quickly as possible was a motivation for running New Years’ Day.

As I stood there today at the starting line, I looked around at many familiar and even more unfamiliar faces and wondered what kept me interested after all these years to still want to compete and often be disappointed that I couldn’t do better. These days I seem to have more excuses than ever. My combined age(52) plus years of running(24 ½) make my legs older than most other runners. I have found it very difficult to stay healthy, with my ankle still reminding me quite often that it was broken less than two years ago. But I keep going out there and will continue as long as I am able. I have more t-shirts than I will ever be able to wear, so it was nice to get a hooded sweat shirt form the Hangover Run.

With each passing year, I look around to see many familiar names no longer competing. There are still the perennials, who keep amazing us all. If you race, you know their names, so they need not be embarrassed by their mention here. As I write this, my hamstring is extremely sore and I begin to wonder what I can do to strengthen it to the point that I can try to run fast. Unfortunately, Benjamin Button type characters, who get younger are only for the movies.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home