NJ Running

Stories about the greatest sport usually thought of while daydreaming during a run

Name:
Location: Fanwood, New Jersey, United States

Thursday, March 12, 2009

March Memories

March came in like the proverbial lion in 2009, delighting school children with a snowstorm that gave them an unexpected three day weekend. The storm was the second part of a 1-2 punch that convinced the organizers of the E Murray Todd half marathon to cancel their race that Sunday, delaying the unofficial start of spring for runners. That final weekend of February, which morphs into March was also the unofficial two year anniversary of my worst day as a runner.
It was actually March 3,2007, the day before E. Murray Todd, when I set out on a ten mile run with only one other member of my Saturday morning group. The remainder were running the next day and the main reason the two of us were not is that we did not feel ready to tackle the challenging course. As we passed the halfway point of a run we had done hundreds of times, the unseasonably warm late winter weather made my thoughts wander. I talked about how we needed to work harder as the weather warmed and I told my partner that we needed to pick up the pace. Less than a minute after I uttered those infamous words, we made a right turn onto the hilliest part of the course. I foolishly did not avoid a wet spot on the road, which did not possibly seem like it could be frozen but it was the dreaded black ice.
I have slipped on ice before, but never making a sharp right turn. I fell awkwardly and knew right away this was bad, worse than anything I had ever felt. Unfortunately I was correct. Had I been alone, I may have gotten up and tried to struggle through a few more yards, but my partner wisely told me to stay down. Since we were near a major intersection, my partner was able to flag down a car who called 911. The Plainfield rescue squad people were fantastic in dealing with a raving lunatic, who continued to cry out numerous irrational thoughts.
The ride to Muhlenberg Hospital was short in distance but seemed endless. When I got to the x-ray room, I asked the technician if he thought sprain or break. He looked at the swelling, shook his head and said that it didn’t look too good, but that’s why he’s not a doctor. When the doctor finally came into the room he cheerfully said “You’ve have two bones in the foot-the large one and the small one and you broke the small one”.
The rest of that day was like a blur, with some of the high or low lights being a nurse who asked how I could slip on ice when it’s 60 degrees? Going back to the park to retrieve my car was more torture. The mild weather had brought a slew of exercise enthusiasts, many who dressed as if it was 30 degrees.
The next six months were excruciating but I followed all medical instruction, including one week of physical therapy (12) for every week in a cast. When I was finally given a tepid okay to start back running it was as if I had never run at all.
But fast forward to Feb 28,2007, the day before another E Murray Todd and I did a symbolic run. I ran right across the spot I fell and kept going to the Plainfield track which faces Muhlenberg, since closed. I ran a slow mile into a cold wind and as much as possible looked at the hospital and thought what I had been through the past two years.
I had learned a great deal and would like to become another beacon of hope to those who have suffered a disabling leg injury. I tell anybody I see that you will get back and to listen to your doctor and find a good physical therapist. They know what they are doing and know how to get you back. I am sure I will get hurt again, hopefully not before you read this, but every subsequent year, I will always remember the day before the E Murray Todd race.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home